Sunday, April 24, 2005

Crichton: Environmentalism is a Religion

Best-selling author Michael Crichton gave a speech before the Commonwealth Club in which his main thesis is:

I studied anthropology in college, and one of the things I learned was that certain human social structures always reappear. They can't be eliminated from society. One of those structures is religion. Today it is said we live in a secular society in which many people---the best people, the most enlightened people---do not believe in any religion. But I think that you cannot eliminate religion from the psyche of mankind. If you suppress it in one form, it merely re-emerges in another form. You can not believe in God, but you still have to believe in something that gives meaning to your life, and shapes your sense of the world. Such a belief is religious.

Today, one of the most powerful religions in the Western World is environmentalism. Environmentalism seems to be the religion of choice for urban atheists. Why do I say it's a religion? Well, just look at the beliefs. If you look carefully, you see that environmentalism is in fact a perfect 21st century remapping of traditional Judeo-Christian beliefs and myths.


(Hat tip: Atlas Shrugs.)

Read the whole thing!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tanker:

Congrats on the new blog. As i just told Rancher, who has also just started a blog on blogspot, I would take a look at starting on motime rather than blogspot. Pooklekufr recently switched from blogspot to motime because of his many frustrations with blogger. You might want to talk to him about it. In any case, congrats and good luck.

Sun Apr 24, 11:32:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tanker JD - nice to see you've got your own blog!! I had mine too, but too much work to make a living and too much time devoted to LGF, left no time to blog myself!
As for this topic, while I generally admire Michael Crichton and have usually agreed with most of your posts on LGF, I disagree that environmentalism is a religion, just as I reject Islam as a religion: to me, they're each nothing more than cults. I believe in people - normal, everyday fallible people. That's it. And Darwinism. And as for Roe v. Wade, since we are both lawyers, I've no doubt that we could argue that case for hours and probably not reach a mutually satisfactory conclusion. I do, however, admire your willingess to take on such major issues in the first espisodes on your blog and look forward to many more. Congratulations (although I DO hope you'll stay on at LGF, too!)
Realwest.

Sun Apr 24, 11:38:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS (!) am I working this comment thingy correctly - seems to give you only choice of Blogger(which requires a user name and password; other (which allows you to fill in your name then your web page; and anonymous which is, well, anonymous = no name/user name/ web page.
How would I be able to e-mail someone who comments on your blog (or they me)? If you can, you should add e-mail addy's to, at least, the "other" identity. Just a suggestion.

Sun Apr 24, 11:52:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
[url=http://kkhkmqhi.com/epal/yadx.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://jmlyxegc.com/igki/chgn.html]Cool site[/url]

Sat Nov 04, 12:08:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
My homepage | Please visit

Sat Nov 04, 12:08:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
http://kkhkmqhi.com/epal/yadx.html | http://aqoqxouk.com/iocj/ufyw.html

Sat Nov 04, 12:09:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home